- The playoffs give you a chance to reinvent yourself. I’m talking about you, Jordan Eberle. Five points, including a goal in each game. And eight goals and three assists in his last 10. #Sizzle
- The Blue Jackets are in rarified air. They’re just the second team in history to go up 3-0 on the President’s Trophy winner. The first? The Kings downed the Canucks in five in 2012.
The date was October 1, 2017.
As a senior hockey writer for RotoWire, I had been eager to start penning post-game wrap notes for the preseason finale between the Golden Knights and Sharks. While it’s often said that exhibition games are meaningless, I was smitten by the idea of an expansion team breaking ground in my happy place. At this point, sports gambling and its associated controversies were largely confined to Vegas, so I had a profound interest in knowing how that would all shake out. Plus, my childhood adoration for the film series “The Mighty Ducks” — which has deeply rooted ties to Anaheim’s NHL franchise — has fostered a personal affinity for expansion teams.
- “If you didn’t feel something watching Ovechkin celebrate, I’m not sure sports are for you.” Amen. That was one of my favorite tweets.
- 11-time All-Star, 3-time Hart winner, 6-time Rocket Richard winner. But ALL are outstripped by a 34.5 lb silver chalice with the first name Stanley. @ovi8, this is well deserved.
- Hero to goat. Marc-Andre Fleury used to be a Conn Smythe shoe-in. Now, he’s the reason the Knights are one loss from their season ending. Crazy. He’s still the one and only reason Vegas is playing in the Final.
- The Golden Knights have no answer for the Caps’ three franchise players — Evgeni Kuznetsov (four helpers), Alexander Ovechkin (one helper) and Nicklas Backstrom (three helpers).