Augusto Mendes
Tanquinho

Brazil

Dealt retroactive six-month suspension by USADA
BantamweightOther
April 23, 2019
According to a release from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), Mendes has been suspended six months retroactive to March 7, 2018 due to a positive test for the banned substance ostarine.
ANALYSIS
Mendes had stated all along that he had intended to appeal the positive test, and it appears his case had ground, as the banned substance was recently discovered in a wide range of legal supplement products. Rather than wait for the case to resolve, however, Mendes asked for his release from the promotion despite having one fight left on his deal. The 36-year-old Brazilian is expected to next compete under the banner of Absolute Championship Berkut.
Read More News
Recent RotoWire Articles Featuring Augusto Mendes
DraftKings MMA: UFC Kansas City Preview
April 11, 2017
Demetrious Johnson may be the best pound-for-pound fighter on the UFC roster, but is he worth a $9,800 price tag on DraftKings? RotoWire's Jon Litterine returns to break down Saturday's card.
DraftKings MMA: UFC Fight Night 88 Preview
May 25, 2016
On a card full of prospects, veteran Renan Barao will move up a class to debut at featherweight. RotoWire MMA expert Jon Litterine breaks down that bout & the rest of the card, from a DraftKings perspective.
DraftKings MMA: UFC Fight Night 83 Preview
February 17, 2016
RotoWire's Jon Litterine is back to pick his favorite Cowboy for Sunday's event in Pittsburgh.
DraftKings MMA: UFC Fight Night 81 Preview
January 13, 2016
RotoWire's Jon Litterine breaks down UFC Fight Night 81 on DraftKings. Can T.J. Dillashaw retain his title? Can Anthony Pettis bounce back from defeat?
More Fantasy News
Leaves UFC
BantamweightOther
June 8, 2018
Mendes elected to leave the UFC on Friday despite having one fight left on his deal, Guilherme Cruz of mmafighting.com reports.
ANALYSIS
Mendes was recently handed a suspension for a failed drug test, and while he was in the process of appealing the suspension, he has ultimately elected to not wait to take part in one last fight with the UFC. The Absolute Championship Berkut announced Thursday that they had signed a deal with Mendes, and his departure from the UFC confirms that. In four years as an MMA fighter, Mendes boasts a 6-2 record.
Intends to appeal USADA test results
BantamweightOther
March 21, 2018
Mendes released a statement Wednesday that says he intends to appeal his recent suspension for a positive drug test, MMAFighting.com reports.
ANALYSIS
Like many fighters put in this situation, Mendes asserted his innocence and says he intends to thoroughly examine every recent supplement he's taken. There's at least precedent here, as multiple fighters have gotten their two-year suspensions successfully reduced to six months by proving a contamination in a supplement that they regularly take. The likelihood of this happening is a bit dependent on the specific substance Mendes tested positive for, which he failed to disclose in the statement.
Fails drug test
BantamweightOther
March 20, 2018
Mendes failed a USADA out-of-competition drug test and will not fight at UFC Atlantic City on April 21, Marc Raimondi of MMAFighting.com reports.
ANALYSIS
UFC will seek a replacement fight for Merab Dvalishvili, who was suppose to take on Mendes next month. Mendes has not competed since April 2017, a unanimous decision loss to Aljamain Sterling at UFC on FOX 24.
Return to UFC booked
BantamweightOther
February 7, 2018
Mendes (lower leg) will take on Merab Dvalishvili in a bantamweight matchup at UFC Atlantic City on April 21, Alexander K. Lee of MMAFighting.com reports.
ANALYSIS
Mendes had to withdraw from his last scheduled bout in the fourth quarter of 2017, but had been eyeing a March return all along. Though he won't quite hit that date, he won't be far off either. A grappler by trade, Mendes has been competing in jiu-jitsu tournaments overseas to keep his skills sharp. Though Dvalishvili has never been submitted in his brief professional career, he has yet to face a grappler the caliber of Mendes.
Hopeful for March return
BantamweightOther
January 2, 2018
Mendes (lower leg) hopes to return to the Octagon in March, MMAFighting.com reports.
ANALYSIS
Mendes was forced to withdraw from a matchup against Boston Salmon at UFC Sao Paulo in October, and although he hasn't scheduled a fight in the UFC just yet, he's been participating in jiu-jitsu tournaments overseas. He even won three matchups at the ACB JJ no-gi 60Kg grand prix in December to take home the title. The 34-year-old bantamweight claims that the jiu-jitsu tournaments have been better for his take-home pay, but he still has his sights set on a March 3 return at UFC 222 in Las Vegas. All things considered, Mendes no longer appears to be affected by the ankle and tibia injuries that forced the withdrawal back in October.