We’re only four days away from the start of real football that counts towards fantasy teams. Buckle up and get ready, friends.
- We’re going to have to wait for the fantasy impact of N’Keal Harry who was placed on IR Monday. In a corresponding move, the Patriots re-signed Demaryius Thomas (31 years-old) to the team. Thomas looked great in his last preseason game and should be the third option in the passing attack behind Julian Edelman and Josh Gordon.
- A.J. Green is still in a walking boot. Tyler Boyd is an excellent target in the 5th round and had 1,000-yard season in 2018 despite missing two games. If Boyd stays healthy, pencil him in for at least 120 targets and another 1,000-yard season; it just remains to be seen if he can get close to double-digit touchdowns.
- Jordan Thomas landed on the IR Monday dashing any hopes as a sleeper pick at tight end. In his place second-year pro Jordan Akins will get a shot to be the pass-catching tight end for the Texans. While Akins finished with a modest 17-225 over his rookie campaign he was able to stay healthy and suit up all 16 games. Logan Paulsen was signed by Houston to add some depth while Thomas is out.
- Marquise Brown will be ready for the Ravens’ season opener Sunday, according to head coach John Harbaugh. Brown has had some sleeper buzz and much of his success will be based upon how quickly he’s picked up the offense and if Lamar Jackson has improved as passer. It’ll be hard to count on Brown week in and week out but he has as much upside as any receiver for Baltimore.
- Melvin Gordon is not planning on reporting in time to be ready for Week 1. There’s a good chance Gordon has played his last snap for the Chargers and they seem perfectly content to head into the season using the combo of Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson. At this point a multi-week absence from fantasy should be expected from Gordon.
- Coach Jay Gruden said Derrius Guice will get more carries than Adrian Peterson. This doesn’t come as a surprise given where both players are at in their careers. Guice is currently going in the middle rounds and is a good target for those drafting the WR/TE spots in the early rounds. We could easily be talking about Guice as a top-20 pick going into 2020.
- Ezekiel Elliott and the Cowboys are not close to making a deal to bring back their All-Pro running back. At this point it appears Tony Pollard will have a big role Week 1 against the Giants in what should be a great matchup for him. If nothing gets done in the next couple of days expect Pollard to be very chalky for DFS this week.
- Derrick Henry (calf) is feeling well and reports he’s been practicing for the last two weeks. He appears to be ready for Week 1 but will take on an improved defensive line in the Cleveland Browns. Henry averaged a career-high 4.9 yards per carry last season and found the end zone 12 times.