– The Bills announced Nathan Peterman will be their starter this week in Baltimore. This decision is likely due to Josh Allen being a rookie and the Bills facing a tough first-half schedule including five of the first seven games being on the road. Baltimore is a great streaming option if they’re somehow available in your league (possibly 10-teamers) and are likely the chalkiest play for DFS this week. The Bills are also planning on having the recently released Paxton Lynch work out for them on Tuesday. If he signs with the Bills this may look like a wise move on their part getting a quarterback on the same talent level as AJ McCarron who was dealt over the weekend for a fifth round pick.
– Sam Darnold was officially names the starter for the Jets. This was a foregone conclusion as Teddy Bridgewater was traded to the Saints last week. Josh McCown seems like the right type of backup to mentor Darnold as he inevitably goes through the ups and downs of being a rookie quarterback.
– Antonio Brown was back at practice today while Le’Veon Bell has yet to sign his franchise tender. While he could sign it at any point between now and Sunday, the Steelers will have to prepare as if they’re not going to have their All-Pro running back. Look for this to be resolved sooner or later but as the week goes on there’s a odds of James Conner starting Sunday grows larger.
– While Josh Gordon appears to be ready to play Sunday against the Steelers it looks like Antonio Callaway will start for the Browns. It’s tough to read the tea leaves here about how much each wide receiver will play given that Gordon missed part of camp due to his off the field issues. Both are difficult to assess for Week 1 given the situation but Gordon obviously possesses the bigger upside.
– Andrew Luck (foot) was back at practice Monday as expected. He appears to be ready to take on the Bengals at home Sunday and should be deployed for fantasy purposes. He has yet to show the ability to deliver an accurate deep ball this preseason but should get that opportunity this weekend. Luck has quickly become a “boom-or-bust” fantasy commodity for this season given his upside and ADP.