Dalton Del Don and I spent a good chunk of time previewing this weekend’s insane slate of possible pickups for the week on the Thursday RotoWire podcast. For full details on the players involved, please listen. But here’s a look at quick rankings so far, in terms of my priorities in picking them up. If you want me to add a player, just let me know.
1. Mallex Smith – I know it sounds hypocritical given how I dragged his draft season ADP, but (A) FAAB priority isn’t the same as draft priority, and (B) he’s the one guy who really can win a category for you.
2. Austin Riley – Legit prospect who the Braves were already preparing to supplant Ender Inciarte with before Inciarte got hurt.
3. Brendan Rodgers – It’s hard to get past a legitimate prospect playing in Coors Field, but I worry some about his staying power.
4. Corbin Martin – Not just a replacement, but another real prospect stepping into a great situation. I’m sort of hoping that the Red Sox bomb him this weekend so his price on Sunday is cheaper.
5. Willie Calhoun – Does he stick this time? His bat has nothing left to prove in Triple-A, but does that carry over with his glove and with his attitude?
6. Keston Hiura – Better in real life than in fantasy in my opinion, plus if he struggles he could get sent down once Travis Shaw is healthy.
7. Oscar Mercado – The opposite of Hiura, better in fantasy than in real life because of the stolen bases.
RotoWire has the best daily fantasy baseball tools on the web.
Try Our Daily MLB Lineup Optimizer
8. Nicky Lopez – On one hand, the Royals moved Whit Merrifield to accommodate him; on the other, I’m underwhelmed by his pre-2019 minor production.
9. Josh James – Don’t sleep on him even with Martin up. A better role could be coming soon.
10. Brandon Brennan
11. Shed Long
12. Cole Irvin
13. Dawal Lugo
14. Shawn Anderson