That was a surprise. I had the Rams winning 13-12 and instead woke up to what was inarguably the greatest Thursday night game of all time. It didn’t hurt that I had Todd Gurley (two leagues), Carlos Hyde and Jared Goff (in a QB-flex format), either.
• Goff made some nice throws, but was bailed out on a deep ball by a great adjustment on Sammy Watkins’ part. Goff’s been incredibly efficient early on – 10.1 YPA against weak defenses – and having what looks like a healthy Watkins making plays is a game changer. But let’s see what happens against Seattle and Arizona before we get really excited.
• Todd Gurley looks like the player we thought we were drafting last year – in the first round. While his efficiency is nothing special, and he’s not making many highlight-worthy plays, he already has six TDs in three games and could have had two more had he gotten in at the goal line a couple times last night. He’s due for as heavy a workload as any back in the league, is on the field all the time and is making plays and scoring in the passing game.
• Sammy Watkins looks like the star he was projected to be. He made a great adjustment on a deep ball thrown behind him, caught a short TD in traffic and bulldozed his way to a second TD through several defenders near the goal line. There’s no sign his foot is bothering him, either.
• I thought Robert Woods might be in the doghouse after his penalty and drop against the Redskins, but apparently not. He looks like the clear No. 2 opposite Watkins and ahead of Cooper Kupp.
• Carlos Hyde is the 49ers version of Gurley, getting chance after chance inside the five and converting two for scores. Hyde also saw four targets.
• Brian Hoyer had been terrible his first two games, but has a good arm and throws a nice deep ball. Marquise Goodwin could turn into a poor man’s DeSean Jackson, and Pierre Garcon is a good bet to among the league leaders in targets and catches.
• This was honestly the most shocking offensive display I can remember. It came from two ostensibly terrible offenses on a Thursday night game in a season when scoring has been way down.
RotoWire has the best fantasy baseball tools on the web.
Get Our 2018 MLB Draft Kit Now