Much of the news out of camp today regards some key fantasy assets. With the next round of preseason clashes due to start in less than 24 hours, let's check the latest updates from around the league.
- Odell Beckham has been absent from practice since Aug. 6 with a minor hip issue but is expected back soon. Coach Freddie Kitchens left open the possibility the star wideout could play in Saturday's preseason game against the Colts. Whether he does or not, let this be a reminder that OBJ missed half his team's games over the past two years, and at least four games in three of his five NFL seasons. Something to consider when taking him in the first round of fantasy drafts.
- Andrew Luck is battling a strained left calf and a high-ankle issue and is expected to miss the rest of the preseason. Coach Frank Reich said he will determine if Luck or Jacoby Brissett will start Week 1 after the Colts' third preseason game on Aug. 24. Given the depth at the position, I would prefer to pass on Luck (currently going as the third QB and no. 68 overall in NFFC leagues over the last two weeks) in favor of a healthier option available later in drafts at least until there is word of improvement.
- Kenyan Drake limped off the field with a foot injury Tuesday and was held out again the following day while sporting a walking boot, but he appears to have avoided structural damage. Coach Brian Flores said the injury could keep the 25-year-old out "a while", but the team is hopeful he'll be ready to go for the regular-season opener. Kalen Ballage will serve as the Dolphins' top back in in the interim and has been taking advantage of the increased opportunity in practice recently. The second-year back is certainly worth a late-round flier as he's currently going outside the top 100.
- Amari Cooper has been out since Aug. 2 with a heel injury, and he won't return until next week at the earliest, according to Nick Eastman and Rob Phillips of the Cowboys' official site. The team has called this injury minor, but reports of "plantar fascia irritation" certainly worry me as those injuries can linger.
- George Kittle missed another day of practice with a tight calf and is day-to-day, according to Nick Wagoner of ESPN. Until this turns into an extended absence, it's nothing to worry about yet.
- N'Keal Harry was back in uniform at Patriots camp Wednesday, and while he wasn't seen doing much, it lends credence to the idea that his leg issues are minor.