This article is part of our Exploiting the Matchups series.
Before we get into specific players to upgrade or downgrade, here are some of my favorite tools for analyzing matchups:
- RotoWire's weekly projections
- RW weekly composite rankings
- RW Betting odds
- RW Target share page
- RW Snap count page
- RW Defense vs. Position stats
- RW pages for advanced stats and TE route data.
- Pace stats and DVOA from Football Outsiders
- Next Gen Stats from NFL.com
- Player Grades and Premium Stats from Pro Football Focus
- Personnel Grouping Frequencies and Run:Pass Ratios from SharpFootballStats.com
Note: Discussion below mostly is limited to players that are being started in less than 80 percent of lineups on Yahoo. There are plenty of other players with good or bad matchups, but we'll focus our energy on the guys most likely to be involved in difficult start/sit decisions. Unless otherwise noted, references to 'fantasy points' are based on scoring with 25/10 yardage, 4/6 TDs and 0.5 PPR, a.k.a. standard settings on Yahoo and FanDuel.
- Andy Dalton vs. ARZ
15% started on Yahoo, 4% on ESPN
The Cardinals have allowed the eighth-fewest fantasy points to quarterbacks, but that's largely a product of matchups rather than high-level performance, as they've faced Jimmy Garoppolo, Dwayne Haskins, Matthew Stafford, Teddy Bridgewater and Joe Flacco. While Dalton may be close to the same level as some of those guys from a real-life standpoint, he's now playing in the fastest-paced offense in the NFL, throwing passes to Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb and Michael Gallup.